Friday 10 July 2009

Frames

I walk past a framing shop everyday, outside are a rack of frames, I never really gave them a second look until about a week ago when I saw a sign on the rack saying 'free frames'!

So what happens when you frame something?

I've never really thought about frames and their influence on the art they surround. I have just read a very interesting article from the Guardian website, in it William Bailey is quoted from his book 'Defining Edges':

"The design, must effect a transition from the existing physical location, usually a wall in a room or a gallery, into the illusionistic realm of the painting. This should occur graciously and imperceptibly. The frame should also prepare the eye and mind of the viewer to accept and embrace the domain of the painting on its own terms."


Changing the frame can elivate the painting into a higher status, giving a picture a guilt frame implies that it is a masterpiece. I have always prefered plain simple dark coloured frames, like underlining a important piece of text, is it saying 'here is my art'?


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous31/8/09

    Hi Jo,
    Just thinking whether i should be framing some of my work for my final Ma show or let it be uncontained and free 'out of the box' kind of thing. Ive always contained small objects in cabinets and suchlike but site derived objects dont feel like they should be so formally arranged. Hmmm a dilemma,
    Rachelx

    ReplyDelete